Thursday, August 11, 2011

Papageno (A buffet restaurant)

I don't know whether you remember this, but there is a period called "Obon" in the middle of August, and people take a vacation and go back to their hometowns. Of course almost all students have a summer vacation from July, but what is special about this Obon is that even workers are on vacation.

 Most people do something "special" during this period like going to an amusement park, but basically it's not for me. I'm not sure if having a buffet lunch can be called "special", but as I have very little for lunch, this was a bit extraordinary. The name of this restaurant was "Papageno". 

 When this restaurant opened several years ago, I had to stand in a long line. But as it was very hot, there weren't many people. And it was a little before noon. 

 As this restaurant is Italian, pasta and pizza were of course available. Do you think hamburg steak to be Italian too? It's been always served here. 

I felt strange when I found out I could order sushi as well here. From top to bottom: prawn, tuna, and salmon. I think people are easy to get tired of similar menus, so the restaurant manager would have had to come up with something unique that would keep people coming back. 

The price per person was about 17 US dollars. You might think it's a bit expensive, but the yen is soaring close to a historic high against the dollar nowadays. You have to take that into consideration.