Monday, August 31, 2009

Summer festival

People were coming from all over the place to see the festival.

A float that was going on the street.



See the video of the festival that I uploaded on Youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_oMJklLKEk

On the Saturday night I went out to join a festival that is held in summer on a yearly basis in my city, Ibaraki prefecture. There are several other festivals to take part in nearby, but this one is the biggest in size in my city. Stalls that sell food such as wieners, shaved ice, takoyaki and so on were lining up the sidewalks.


But what grabbed the attention of the people were the floats that were marching on the main street. The decoration that looks like a human face( see the pic above) is called "Nebuta" and it was borrowed from Aomori Prefecture where Nebuta has its roots.


The temperature on the night was around 30 degrees, so it was suitable for me to join the festival.