Monday, October 12, 2009

Revolving sushi bar

Besides revolving sushi, you can order fresh sushi by pushing those pictures on this touch panel.

I'm not familiar with all of those sushi.

Of course a cup of green-tea is a must for me.

Sushi comes one after another. Sometimes they go by too fast.

Tuna sushi. The most popular one.

Negitoro, or fatty tuna with minced green onion.

California rolls. I had this when I was in California, but this tasted a bit different.

Shrimp sushi. I can't have any sushi without wasabi.

Rolled egg. I always finish up with this.


The Japanese food every foreigner would first think of might be "sushi". And I also think it is one of the most popular dishes in Japan. But how many times do we Japanese go to a sushi bar? Of course it depends on each individual, but one would go to a good sushi bar at most a few times a month.

So most Japanese people end up going to a revolving sushi bar(kaiten-zushi) to save money. There are some sushi-go-round restaurants whose one dish costs as much as about 5 us dollars, but amid this recession people prefer to go to one which serves 1 dollar-a-dish sushi. And this one I visited the other day had the same payment structure as the latter.

You can have as many sushi as you like and should pay money when you leave the restaurant. So people have sushi while counting the number of the dishes. Sounds stingy?