Friday, December 25, 2009

Tsukuba Expo Center -part 2-


This model is called "H-Ⅱ rocket" , which was used to put satellites in orbit. The technology of this rocket was later handed down to H-ⅡA rocket in '06.

 
This exploration ship is called "Chikyu", which means "the earth". It can dig as deep as 7000m from the seabed.

 
A model of "The Shinkai 6500" , which can go down 6,500m deep into the sea and do research. This dives in deeper than any other submersible.

 
This robot is called "PINO", which was designed to resemble a toddler. 

 
A toilet in a spaceship.

 
An astronaut sleeps in a place like this in space.

 
The pictures of the Japanese astronauts. 

 
A stall was selling souvenirs related to science.



You can bring home these space food as souvenirs.


This space curry was actually brought to space. One package costs more than 5 us dollars.


When I came to this city for the first time, I didn't know that there were lots of scientific laboratories, and when I grew older I came to notice I was not good at science, so I was indifferent to the fact this city is called "Tsukuba academic city". But when I walk about in a shopping mall, I sometimes see foreign people having a conversation with Japanese people in English, and since we rarely see foreign people in Japan, such a moment is when I recognize my city is where people from abroad come in order to cooperate with Japanese scientists.


Like I said before, those scientific laboratories are open to the public during the summer, and the botanical garden accepts any people. So it is not too much to say my city is open to people who are interested in what the laboratories are doing.

As I chose law as my major, I tend to forget the importance of scientific research, but when I pass by the Institutes in my city, I think of people who are striving to make our life better. And this Expo center shows the fruits of the efforts made by those people.