Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The animes for people of all age

At one section of a home center, they sell Ghibli goods.

I think every Japanese would recognize this cat.

Some stuffed toys as tiny as this would be also cute.

The more, the better in this case.


The animes that impressed me the most when I was a kid were ones like "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind", and "Kiki's Delivery Service" by Studio Ghibli. I want Japanese anime to be popular all over the world, but if I was asked to introduce some anime to a foreign person who's not familiar with anime at all, would I have to recommend to him "The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"? Sure, it is now a widely supported anime especially among anime fans, but those who don't know much about our anime wouldn't understand some words spoken by the heroine such as Moe. And I don't think Haruhi anime should be recommended to everybody.

But all the animes by Ghibli Studio have been popular with people of all age in Japan, and as they never include lewd expressions, even a father and his children can watch them comfortably. I remember my school showed one of Ghibli animes in an extracurricular class, so I think the teachers thought it was even educational. And as the anime Nausicaä shows, some Ghibli animes in fact deal with some environmental issues.

Some Japanese animes might do harm to kids, but as you know not all the animes aren't like that. I don't think only the Ghibli animes should be shown to kids, but if you want your kids to grow healthily, "My neighbor Totoro" is the one to be recommended, and when they are teens, Lucky Star should be watched as an anime that represents a good side of Japan.